Friday, March 26, 2010

Post 3: "Real" food vs. "fake" food

In Michael Pollan’s In Defense of Food, he says that we can improve our health by just eating “real” foods, such as fruits, vegetables, meats, and whole grains. I wish it were that easy to get a hold of fresh fruits and meat from a butcher every day. I really enjoy hamburgers and that is a food that can be “real” and “fake”. The “fake” burger is usually smaller, not juicy, bland looking, tastes like newspaper and card board, and smells like cat food. The “real” burger is usually juicy, tender, tastes great, smells great, and is more expensive. The “fake” food doesn’t provide any addition vitamins/nutrients, but is usually the same as the “real”. I have “fake” burgers usually at MacDonald’s or a fast-food restaurant. I still have the “real” burger, but that’s usually at home when we grill or a nicer restaurant that actually cooks its burgers. I will return to eating the “real” burger when I go home for the summer, but will still have the “fake” sometimes, because of the convenience of fast-food.

SPECIAL INVESTIGATION: SLAUGHTER POUNDER

Enjoy your barbecue this weekend? Our expose of the meat processing industry could change your mind

By Ryan Parry

DRIPPING with blood and oozing thick layers of defrosting fat, 31 giant chunks of compacted "meat" trundle up the conveyor belt.

An unpleasant stench hangs in the air and I rip open yet another pallet crammed with boxes.

It's my first day on the production line of a meat factory, and I'm feeding a giant stainless-steel mixer with the vital ingredients for an Iceland quarter-pound burger.

But as I load another huge 20kg block of white fat into the machine the wholesome image of a juicy beef burger nestled between a golden sesame-seed bun is quickly shattered.

To continue reading this article, click here.

This article is saying how bad the burgers and meats that are mass produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment